January 2, 2011

Bran not Bland

Let's face it, you have your "bran lovers" and then the people that are the "bran is bland" type. I am with the bran lovers clan, and make bran muffins once a week. I have found during my busy weekdays, and through my picky-eaters (aka my hubby and 3 year old), that easy, go-to-breakfasts options are a must. These muffins fit that mold and have been given the picky-eater stamp of approval! The recipe I use is one I got from my friend Chelsea and it is delcious.  I hope you enjoy it just as much as we do at our chateau. I don't really live in a chateau, I just like to call my humble abode that, it makes me feel grand and chic (I write this as I am sitting in a very messy toy room in sweats with no makeup...very grand and chic indeed) HA!







Ingredients

1 1/2 Cup Bran
1 Cup Buttermilk
1/3 Cup Oil
1 Egg
2/3 Cup Brown sugar
1 Cup Flour
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp salt

Directions

Mix the Bran and Buttermilk in a bowl and let sit for about 10 minutes (just until your done mixing the rest of the ingredients).

In another bowl, mix the Flour, Soda, Salt, and Powder and set aside.

Blend the Oil and Sugar well on low speed, add egg, and then slowly add the bowl with the dry ingredients.  Then add the Bran mixture and blend well till all ingredients are well mixed.

Line muffin pan with liners, and put 1/2 cup of the muffin mix into each liner.  Bake at 375 for about 12 minutes.  Recipe yields about a dozen muffins (I always double the recipe because we like to eat a lot of muffins and because they freeze well).


Enjoy!

2 comments:

Amy said...

yum! Both recipes sound delicious! I am definitely goign to have to try them!

Swirls of Happy said...

Thanks Amy!