February 9, 2011

California Dreaming

What is it about the energy of the so-cal sun, the care-free attitude of the locals, the puka shell and flip flop clad surfers, the smell of salty and moist air, and the sound of the waves crashing that makes me always wanting Fish Tacos?!  I have been seriously dreaming of my California Summer's lately, now that winter is over, so I thought I would make some Halibut Tacos at home to dive into my craving of awesome So-Cal Cuisine.  I am a huge Fish fan.  I will eat any fish, but I specifically love Mahi-Mahi and Halibut in my Fish Tacos.  This is my own recipe for Fish Tacos, and I hope you enjoy!


Bentley in his element

Little Surfer boys.

Me and my bebe' Ryder





Halibut Fish Tacos 

INGREDIENTS

6 oz. Halibut Filet (skinless)

Fresh Cilantro, washed and diced (about 1/2 cup)

2 limes, cut into wedges 
8 Corn Tortillas

Oil (for cooking Corn Tortillas in)

Mango Salsa (recipe to follow)


DIRECTIONS
Line a baking Sheet with Foil and lay Fillet down. Drizzle a little Olive Oil on the top of the fillet and season with a dash of salt and Garlic Powder.  Broil the Fish (500 degree) until the middle is no longer fleshy and the fish flakes with a fork easily (about ten minutes).  While the Fish is cooking, heat about 1/4 cup of oil in a small saucepan.  Dip one Corn Tortilla in oil and let cook about 30-45 seconds on each side. Take Tortilla out with tongs and place on a plate with a paper towel (to soak up excess oil).  Do the same steps with remaining Tortillas.
After Tortillas and Fish are cooked, flake the fish into smaller pieces.  Fill Tortilla with fish, squeeze the juice from one lime wedge over fish, place 2 tbls. of Mango Salsa over fish and garnish with fresh cilantro and a wedge of lime on the side.  

Mango Salsa Recipe (simplyrecipes.com)

INGREDIENTS

1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced (about 1 1/2 cup) (See: How to Cut a Mango)

1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped

1 Jalapeno Chile, minced (include ribs and seeds for a hotter taste if desired)

1 small cucumber, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)

3 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

3 Tbsp fresh lime juice

Salt and pepper to taste

Also good with diced red bell pepper and jicama.

DIRECTIONS

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If the salsa ends up being a little too hot or acidic for your taste, you can temper it by adding some diced avocado.

Delicious!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Yummy, And I have been Dreaming of the So cal Beach days too. Im hoping to go to my moms for spring break. :) I need my Cali fix soon.

My mom makes my fav fish taco's.
She will do her fish in a pan and just cook it up with some seaonings and a little oil, then she will do corn tortilla's with cheese in the middle. So a quesadilla taco. And then just cabbage and a cilantro Jalapeno ranch over it. I Love them.
I wish my husband and kids would eat fish. Im the only fish eater in my house. Besides tuna.. :(

Swirls of Happy said...

Kelly, that sounds sooo good!!!!