October 13, 2011

An Apple A Day

It is true that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but what about apple muffins?  I like to think so, because I have been consuming these applesauce muffins way too often.  They are so good....I can't help myself (oh, and they are healthy too...so at least I have that going).

Remember my post Tuesday on the Deceptively Delicious Banana bread?  She did it again with her applesauce muffin recipe.  I tweaked it just a tad by doing half whole-wheat flour and adding flax, and seriously it was heaven.  They are the perfect breakfast treat during this fall season!  Have a great Thursday dolls. XoX

Applesauce Muffins (via Deceptively Delicious Cookbook)

Ingredients:
Topping:
2/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tb melted butter

Ingredients for muffins:
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour ** I used 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 all purpose flour
1 cup old fashioned oars
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened natural applesauce
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup carrot puree
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
** I also added 3 Tb of ground golden Flax


Directions for Topping:
Stir together the oats, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir in the melted butter and set aside.

Directions for Muffins:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.

Combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.  Stir and mix well (I used my Kitchen aid).

In a second bowl, mix the applesauce with the milk, vegetable puree, sugar, oil, and egg with a wooden spoon.  Add to the flour mixture, mixing slowly to combine until just moistened.

Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups and sprinkle with the streusel topping.  Bake until the topping is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the muffins, 18-20 min.

1 comment:

christina said...

ooh these look so good! i'm going to try to make them and veganize them since we don't do dairy or eggs! yum!!