October 11, 2011

The Next Best

I am always on the search for the "next best".  As in, the next best muffin recipe, or the next best cupcake to bake...I then become obsessed and will bake it weekly.  Have I mentioned that I love to bake?!

Anyhoo, I'm  sure you have heard of "Deceptively Delicious".  The awesome cookbook that sneaks in vegetable and fruit puree into recipes for picky eaters.  In my case, picky eaters being Captain Crazy and Mr. Delicious.  They have no idea that I do indeed sneak veggies and flax into their daily diet...bwahaha (sinister mom laugh).

Ok, so...I was on the quest for the "next best" healthy banana bread recipe and low and behold it has been just sitting in my "deceptively delicious" cookbook that rests nicely on my counter daily.  Seriously, I made a loaf last Thursday and again last night, and both times it was gone before it had time to cool.  No joke.

Here is the recipe my friends, enjoy and have a perfect Tuesday!

Banana Bread (via Deceptively Delicious cookbook)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup Whole Wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup cauliflower puree (if you don't want to add this, just add an extra banana).  I used an extra banana instead of the Cauliflower puree.
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
** I also added 3 Tb of ground golden Flax

Ingredients for the oat crumble topping:
2/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tb melted butter

Directions for Oat Crumble:
Stir together the oats, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl.  Then stir in the melted butter.  Set aside.


Directions for Banana Bread:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a 9X5 loaf pan (or 2 mini loaf pans) with cooking spray.

In a bowl, mix the flours with the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl (or mixer), mix the sugar and oil with a wooden spoon until well combined (I used my kitchen aid).  Mix in the egg whites, banana and cauliflower purees, and vanilla.  Add the flour mixture and mix just until combined.

Pour the batter into the loaf pan and top with the oat crumble topping.  Bake for 55-60 minutes for the large loaf, or 25-30 minutes for the mini loaves.  Let cool and serve.

5 comments:

Brooklyn said...

YES!!!!!Finally! I have been waiting for this Recipie! See you in Cali very very soon! XOXO

Kelly said...

I have the same cookbook, and have yet to make anything out of it, cause honestly I dont really have the time to steam veggies and puree them. I will try this and just to an extra bananna. I wonder if canned pumkin would be great instead of any bannana?

Alexa said...

Yummers! Looks so so good and perfect for the season

Abigail's Place said...

Love getting new recipes, especially the oat crumble!
Thanks for sharing it looks delicious!

Abigail x

Chelsea said...

so the original recipe calls for cauliflower and not bananas? or am i reading it wrong? how many bananas total with the cauliflower puree?

looks delicious and i was just reading about how healthy cauliflower is, i want to try it!